Diabetic Friendly Colombian Tostones Recipe
I have been compensated by Glucerna for this post; however, I am sharing my own thoughts. All opinions are my own. Talk with your health-care provider about a diabetes management plan that’s right for you. #GlucernaHungerSmart #CollectiveBias
I am about to turn 40. That’s unreal. I blinked my eyes and in less than two weeks the big 4-0 will be upon me! Something you all may not know about me is that diabetes runs in my family. Every year my employer has the hubs and me do an annual screening to check our cholesterol and blood glucose levels. I don’t drink soda or even juice and I eat very little sugar so I was surprised to find out that I was positive for borderline diabetes. I know my dad is already managing his blood sugar with diet and while I don’t eat a lot of sugar, the little indulgences count, right? I learned about Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes and implemented them into my diet.
Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes: The lowdown
When you’re thinking about something like diabetes, you want to know the facts. If you want to talk to your healthcare provider about Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes are right for you, you can let him or her know that Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes have 15 grams of protein-that’s 50% more than regular weight maintenance drinks on the market. With their technology called CARBSTEADY® blood sugar spikes are minimized since the carbohydrates in Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes are released slowly throughout the day. They have 25 vitamins and minerals and with 6 grams of sugar, contain 60% less sugar than regular weight loss drinks, too. That’s a BIG deal when you’re controlling your blood sugar. Remember, your doctor or healthcare provider should definitely be in on a discussion regarding your diet!
Today I actually went and did this. Yep! Time for the bloodwork and to know how the ol’ glucose is doing:
Since I fasted, by the time I got home it was time to put something in my stomach! If you’ve been around awhile, you’ll know I am 1/2 Colombian. I also like salty and sweet. Colombian Tostones sounded good with one of my Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes to go right along with it. Now, usually tostones are fried and the way my mom and abuela (grandmother) made them back in the day-they’re fried TWICE and there was a lot of salt involved. These are baked in the oven and I don’t use salt.
Green plantains come in around a 40 on the glycemic index and have a glycemic load of 13. I eat them in moderation. And remember, guys – this recipe works for my diet and the parameters I need to follow. Always check with your doctor to make sure of what is right for you.
Diabetic Friendly Colombian Tostones
Of course, be sure to go to the Walmart Health & Wellness aisle to get your Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes to accompany your tostones:
What you’ll need:
- 3 large plantains
- A tostonera – (this is a press that squashes the plantain) if you don’t have one of these, don’t worry-I’ve got you covered!
- Cooking spray
For the dipping sauce:
- Olive oil (I used blood orange olive oil) – two teaspoons
- lemon or lime for citrus flavor if your olive oil doesn’t contain it
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of cumin (this gives the salty taste without the salt)
- 1 large clove of garlic
Let’s get started:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Peel the plantains
- Slice plantains into about 1/2″ thick pieces
- Put them in the the tostonera and press them so they are only 1/4″ inch thick or so (this will flatten the plantain)
- If you do not have a tostonera, you can use a sandwich bag or two pieces of wax paper and the bottom of a sturdy glass to press the plantain until it is flat
- Spray a cookie sheet very lightly with the cooking spray
- Place plantains on cookie sheet
- Spray the tops lightly again with cooking spray
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (if you like yours really crispy you can bake up to 12 minutes – keep an eye on them since oven cooking times vary)
- Remove and cool
To make the dipping sauce:
Mince your garlic then take the olive oil, oregano and cumin and put it into a small bowl. Add the garlic and mix well. That’s it. You’re finished!
Two of these diabetic friendly Colombian tostones and one of my Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes and I am full! A little salty and a little sweet. It’s an easy snack that doesn’t over do it and still makes me feel like I’m indulging. 🙂
Find out more about Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes
Cheers to tasty treats and good health! Or as we say in Colombia: ¡Salud y buen provecho!